I know it’s frustrating to feel like your goal is so far from reach, especially when wealth might solve a variety of issues you’re experiencing right now. Here’s the key to finally feeling some peace and making progress in accumulating wealth.
People who know me are aware I have some health issues…an undiagnosed low thyroid condition sidelined me for many years and a broken ankle messed me up some more. I used to be active, running, participating in races…so for me, it’s actually really hard to stay active, because I am so far away from where I used to be. In my mind, it should be no problem dashing out and running for a few miles. But my body says, no freaking way!
With exercise, I’ve resisted starting where I am at. This is attachment. I have been attached to being the old Mindy, who could bop around and do whatever she wanted. If I can successfully LET GO of that attachment—release my old expectations—that clears the way for starting where I am at. And this should come to no surprise to anyone: If I start where I am at, regardless of my judgment over it, then I will progress BEYOND that point. I’ll quickly become more and more fit, because I am engaging at the level that I can sustain consistently.
This is also true of your money; people tend to waste a lot of time because they avoid looking at where they are REALLY at in the present. They might be attached to a belief about what a lack of money means for their self image, confidence, success, etc. But all it means is that they are putting off momentum because they aren’t working at the level they need to work at for real progress.
Acceptance isn’t about settling for something less than you want; acceptance is about not letting your attachment to the way things should be get in the way of how things are.
- Can you accept that even if life isn’t going exactly how you envisioned, that things can still turn out even better than you hoped?
- Can you accept that you might have some spiritual or practical money homework to do—and some principles to learn—before you’re a non-leaky receptacle for all of the wealth you desire?
- Can you accept that you need to feel secure before you experience wealth—or you’ll never feel secure at all?
- Can you accept that even if you feel like your current situation is “unacceptable,” that admitting and owning it doesn’t mean that you’re stuck there forever?
Once you start to accept that your current situation has absolutely no bearing on your ability to start accumulating wealth, you start to get inspired with what you can do. The weight of where you “should be” is released and things start to get easier!
Actions This Week
- Reflect. Where have you been weighing yourself down with expectation and attachment? How has this prevented your progress?
- Accept. What does acceptance look like for you? For me, it looks like consistently going to the gym, regardless of what I accomplish while I am there. What does wealth acceptance look like for you? Maybe starting to track spending in Mint?
- Resolve. In accepting yourself where ever you’re current at with your wealth accumulation, how does this affect your resolve or change your actions?
And in the comments, tell me . . .
How is attachment or acceptance showing up in your life right now?
Thanks for being part of the Creative Money Community!
P.S. Do you hate dealing with your money? Here’s a post I wrote about what to do if you have issues with this :o)