As I’ve started bringing more energy work into my work with clients, I’ve noticed two distinct types of reactions.
The first type lean forward, interested and eager when I start talking about how their energy may be affecting their money.
The second type lean back, cross their arms, and let their eyes glaze over, clearly indicating they’re much too rational to listen to my woo-woo weirdness.
Sometimes I can win over the doubters and sometimes I can’t, but the one thing I always find is that when a person recognizes and understands how the energy they’re bringing to the situation affects the outcome, they’re much more likely to be willing and able to change it.
Whether you’ve got your meditation beads all queued up or would prefer I stick to good old reliable spreadsheets, here are a couple reasons you ought to be taking your chakras and energy seriously.
Your energy creates illusions
Paying attention to my energy helped me see what a control freak I was… and helped me see how money and energy combine to fuel “control” illusions in other people—about themselves, relationships and business. For example:
- Chris thinks her job that makes her miserable is the only way she can make money. Her spouse agrees with her.
- Jason thinks his divorce is 100% his fault (it’s not), so he doesn’t want to keep any of the assets that he and his wife built together.
- Jennifer wants her husband to earn more money, so she tries to help him with his work. And then gets frustrated and resentful when he doesn’t follow through.
- Bob thinks that he needs to “help” his wife with her job search. He creates tasks and “to do” items for her because he knows she wouldn’t get anything done otherwise.
These thoughts—that they need to control their spouse for a desired outcome–make them unhappy. I see the beginnings of marital strife (they might not even notice). And, in fact, this could be any relationship where money is involved, not just marriage. You think the issues are about money, but they aren’t. It’s really all about energy. Reality:
- Your spouse can’t be invested in where you work; otherwise, your job becomes more important than your feelings and relationship.
- When financial mistakes are made, each spouse is 50% responsible . . . the “active” person usually gets blamed, but the “passive” person acquiesced.
- You can’t “help” your spouse “be” more successful; then their professional actions or inaction become more important than who s/he is as a romantic partner.
- Disappointment over someone else’s professional obstacles is an intimacy killer.
How do you change this dynamic? Start by realizing there is nothing wrong with the current situation and look at the energy you’re bringing. Each of these situations starts with stuck energy at one of the chakras. If you’re interested in learning more about this, I’ve made a little ebook that covers the seven major chakras — just click here to download it.
Oh and by the way: you’re not allowed to tell your spouse they need to buck up their solar plexus chakra in order to feel worth of that promotion — that’s their work.
Gut check, chakra check
Getting tuned into your energy is also a great way to categorize issues.
Because each chakra corresponds to a certain set of energies, blocks, and issues, you can sometimes use them as a checklist to discover where you might be blocked.
In fact, if you feel attached to an outcome, check your chakra:
- Got scarcity issues — worried you’ll never have enough, whether you’re actually living paycheck to paycheck or sitting on a Scrooge McDuck size pile of money? That’s a root chakra issue.
- Unable to give yourself the finer things in life — or spending too much on pleasure-seeking? That’s your sacral chakra talking.
- Daddy (or mommy) issues all tied up with your money? Your solar plexus chakra is blocked.
- Banging your head against an upper limit problem? That’s your crown chakra off balance.
And so on.
It provides a handy-dandy cheat sheet to remember that money issues are actually very rarely about the money.
In my experience, when someone can detach from the outcome, they can find a solution to their money problems fairly easily. It may take work to solve the problem, but the solution comes without a fight.
But when they just can’t see a way out, that’s when it’s clear to me that the so-called money problem isn’t about the money at all — it’s about the energy.
Self-awareness is your superpower
Understanding your relationship with money and your energies is an exercise in deep self-awareness, and let’s face it: self awareness makes you better at everything.
Habit researchers talk about the concept of a keystone habit, one that triggers many other good habits to follow. People who exercise regularly, for example, are more likely to also eat better, save money, and improve other habits.
I believe self-awareness is another of these keystone habits. Once you begin practicing self-examination and self-awareness, it becomes second nature. Suddenly you’re looking at your motivation around everything, not just money issues. For me, it manifested as a healthier lifestyle and healthier relationships — not to mention a healthier bank account.
Does this resonate with you? Do you want MORE insights with your energy to see how to improve your money and maybe even your business? Then you need to hop on over and get Understanding Your Money Chakras, my free ebook.
P.S. If you liked this topic, be sure to hop on over to last week’s post, Your Energy is Costing You Money and be sure to download the special worksheet that helps you process your money blocks!